Quantcast

compressed file system

tallu
Hello Everyone

I'm new to Linux and to Buildroot.
I've succeeded to build a kernel and a file system (.ext2) and to test it with QEMU.
Now I'm trying to use a compressed file system (.ext2.gz) but it will not load (kernel panic).

How should I load a compressed file system which is the rootfs?

BR,
Tal

Re: compressed file system

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Dear tallu,

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 09:53:42 -0800 (PST), tallu wrote:

> I'm new to Linux and to Buildroot.
> I've succeeded to build a kernel and a file system (.ext2) and to
> test it with QEMU.
> Now I'm trying to use a compressed file system (.ext2.gz) but it will
> not load (kernel panic).
>
> How should I load a compressed file system which is the rootfs?

If you use this filesystem as a hard disk image, i.e the '-hda
rootfs.ext2' Qemu option, then it has to be uncompressed.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: compressed file system

tallu
Hi Thomas

Thanks for your reply.
So how can I check this kind of compressed file system (.ext2.gz)?
Is it the same for other file systems?

BR,
Tal

Re: compressed file system

Julian Lunz
Hello tallu,

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 11:15:22 -0800 (PST)
tallu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So how can I check this kind of compressed file system (.ext2.gz)?

As far as I know: You'll need to uncompress it, after that you can
loop-mount it, so:
sudo mount -o loop rootfs.ext2 mountpoint

If you check with 'mount' afterwards, you should see sth. like this:
/dev/loop0 on mountpoint type ext2 (rw)

avfs (http://avf.sourceforge.net/) might work with compressed image, not
tested though.

Julian

Re: compressed file system

tallu
Hi Julian

How can I do it if it is the rootfs?

BR
Tal

Re: compressed file system

Julian Lunz

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 11:57:04 -0800 (PST)
tallu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Julian
>
> How can I do it if it is the rootfs?

I don't see your point, rootfs.ext2 _is_ your rootfs
(ext-filesystem-image).
What do you mean by "check"?

Julian