Quantcast

adding users in readonly file system

sajjadi335
Hi

I have searched for a while for this, but have not been able to find anything. I am not familiar with how linux manages users. So this might be something obvious I don't know.
My problem is I have an embedded system with a readonly root fs, and I want to
- add a user to the system.
- Change both the root and the user password.
How could that be done?

Re: adding users in readonly file system

Michael Rommel
Hi,

if you are using buildroot to create the readonly fs, you have two options:

 - either add the user to the appropriate files in the "target" or output/target
subdirectory, where the source files are that are used to create the real
file system image under "images"

- use the menu item "System Configuration" -> "Root filesystem
overlay directories" to keep your edited files separate, but have them
incorporated into your final image during/after your build.

  Michael.

--
Michael Rommel, Erlangen, Germany

On Sep 11, 2013, at 8:06 , sajjadi335 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I have searched for a while for this, but have not been able to find
anything. I am not familiar with how linux manages users. So this might be
something obvious I don't know.
My problem is I have an embedded system with a readonly root fs, and I want
- add a user to the system.
- Change both the root and the user password.
How could that be done?

Re: adding users in readonly file system

Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind)
On 11/09/13 08:06, sajjadi335 wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have searched for a while for this, but have not been able to find
> anything. I am not familiar with how linux manages users. So this might be
> something obvious I don't know.
> My problem is I have an embedded system with a readonly root fs, and I want
> - add a user to the system.
> - Change both the root and the user password.
> How could that be done?

  The users are in /etc/passwd and the passwords in /etc/shadow. If you
need to be able to modify these at runtime, you can move them to
$(TARGET_DIR)/tmp in the post-build script and make symlinks to them.

  Regards,
  Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                          arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect            +32-16-286500