Quantcast

Unable to boot via initrd

Matthieu
Hello,

I have just installed the 2013-08 version of buildroot and I do not succed to boot via initrd.
I tried two solutions (described in the previous post "Creating initrd") through the gui menuconfig. And neither solution seems succeed.

When I run:

1) for the solultion 1 (BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS=y)
kvm -kernel output/images/bzImage -initrd output/images/rootfs.cpio.bz2 -m 128

2) for the solution 2: (BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_CPIO=y)
kvm -kernel output/images/bzImage -initrd output/images/rootfs.cpio.bz2 -initrd output/images/rootfs.cpio.bz2 -m 128

I always obtain:
VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" .... error -6 ...
Please append a coorect "root)" boot option; here are the available partitions: Kernel panic ....VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Please can you help me?

regards

Matthieu

Re: Unable to boot via initrd

Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind)
On 09/02/13 21:06, Matthieu wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have just installed the 2013-08 version of buildroot and I do not succed
> to boot via initrd.
> I tried two solutions (described in the previous post "Creating initrd")
> through the gui menuconfig. And neither solution seems succeed.
>
> When I run:
>
> 1) for the solultion 1 (BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS=y)
> kvm -kernel output/images/bzImage -initrd output/images/rootfs.cpio.bz2 -m
> 128

  With the initramfs option, the -initrd parameter shouldn't be needed.
On the other hand, it shouldn't hurt either...

> 2) for the solution 2: (BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_CPIO=y)
> kvm -kernel output/images/bzImage -initrd output/images/rootfs.cpio.bz2
> -initrd output/images/rootfs.cpio.bz2 -m 128

  Specifying the same initrd twice will not help much :-)

> I always obtain:
> VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" .... error -6 ...
> Please append a coorect "root)" boot option; here are the available
> partitions: Kernel panic ....VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)

  That's weird... With either initrd, you should never get to mounting of
rootfs. Can you check that the rootfs contains a script called "init" in
the root directory, that is either a symlink to /sbin/init or is a script
that does "exec /sbin/init" at the end?

  Regards,
  Arnout

> Please can you help me?
>
> regards
>
> Matthieu

Arnout Vandecappelle                          arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect            +32-16-286500
Essensium/Mind                                http://www.mind.be
G.Geenslaan 9, 3001 Leuven, Belgium           BE 872 984 063 RPR Leuven
GPG fingerprint:  7CB5 E4CC 6C2E EFD4 6E3D A754 F963 ECAB 2450 2F1F

Re: Unable to boot via initrd

Matthieu
Dear Arnout,

I have just tried the command:
kvm -kernel output/images/bzImage

without the -initrd option and it works fine.

Thanks a lot!

I have checked also if the /root directory contains an init file. I do not find the init file.
 I checked  in the /output/images/rootfs.cpio.bz2 archive. And I found the only three following files:
- .bash_history
-.bash_logout
-.bash_profile

with best regards

Matthieu

Re: Unable to boot via initrd

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Dear Matthieu,

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:41:50 -0700 (PDT), Matthieu wrote:

> I have checked also if the /root directory contains an init file. I
> do not find the init file.

I know it might have been confusing, but Arnout said the "root
directory", not the "/root directory". The root directory is the root
of the filesystem, i.e what becomes "/" on the target system, or what
is output/target/ in the Buildroot output directory.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Unable to boot via initrd

Matthieu
Dear Thomas and  Arnout,

first I want to thank you for your understanding. I come back to the linux world after 10 years and I feel rusted.

So:

1) in the root of the filesystem there is a symlink to /sbin/init.

2) I noticed the solution 2 of my first post do not work: BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_CPIO=y and BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS disabled. When I run:

kvm -kernel output/images/bzImage -initrd output/images/rootfs.cpio.bz2

I obtain:  VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" .... error -6 ...

is there a solution?

regards

Matthieu

Re: Unable to boot via initrd

Matthieu
I am sorry, I have just test the solution 2) and it works now. Maybe I was not clean enough by doing not a systematic rebuild ("make clean").

All is fine.

Thanks

regards

Matthieu