Quantcast

Currently packaging Qt5

12

Currently packaging Qt5

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Hello,

This is just a quick note to let people know that I've started
packaging Qt5. I'm re-using existing packaging efforts done by
RasberryPi folks, and I'm already quite far in the process. I hope to
be able to post something soon.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Daniel Nyström-3
Very appreciated! Do you know if there is OpenGL support for i.e. OMAP (PowerVR) in Buildroot and, if that's the case, will Qt5 make use of that?

I once started with a PowerVR package for BR, but got interrupted and never had time to catch up. :/

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Thomas Petazzoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

This is just a quick note to let people know that I've started
packaging Qt5. I'm re-using existing packaging efforts done by
RasberryPi folks, and I'm already quite far in the process. I hope to
be able to post something soon.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Dear Daniel Nyström,

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:50:48 +0100, Daniel Nyström wrote:
> Very appreciated! Do you know if there is OpenGL support for i.e. OMAP
> (PowerVR) in Buildroot and, if that's the case, will Qt5 make use of that?
>
> I once started with a PowerVR package for BR, but got interrupted and never
> had time to catch up. :/

For now, I have added support for the eglfs backend of Qt5, by using
the OpenGLESv2 and EGL implementations for the RasberryPi. I've also
added in the process virtual packages for libglesv2, libegl and
libopenvg, so that multiple implementations can be packaged for those
APIs.

However, I haven't looked at packaging the OMAP PowerVR stuff for now.
So if anyone wants to have a look, would be nice.

I currently have https://github.com/prabindh/sgxconfiguro (a set of
pkg-config files that apparently make it a bit easier to use the SGX
stuff), and http://gpupowered.org/node/8 opened in my browser, as
useful links regarding SGX stuff. Just in case someone wants to start
working on this.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Luca Ceresoli
Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is just a quick note to let people know that I've started
> packaging Qt5. I'm re-using existing packaging efforts done by
> RasberryPi folks, and I'm already quite far in the process. I hope to
> be able to post something soon.

Great!

Are you going to leave the option in BR to use the old QT4?
I think it would be useful, mostly for boards having no OGLES
acceleration, as well as to avoid any backward compatibility issues
for old application code.

Luca

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Luca,

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:37:28 +0100, Luca Ceresoli wrote:

> Are you going to leave the option in BR to use the old QT4?

Yes, I packaging Qt5 as a completely separate package from Qt4.

In fact, I'm even packaging it as multiple separate packages, because
they now provide split tarballs for various components of the Qt5
stack, which is great.

> I think it would be useful, mostly for boards having no OGLES
> acceleration, as well as to avoid any backward compatibility issues
> for old application code.

Of course. Note however that Qt5 doesn't require OpenGLES. There are
linuxfb and directfb backend that normally work with OpenGLES.

However, the linuxfb backend is crashing at the moment. I've already
sent one (easy) fix to the Qt guys, and reported the next crash.
They suggested some thing that didn't work, I'm still waiting for some
news.

So basically, the stuff will compile, I can build and run a basic QtCore
application, but there will be some work to runtime test all the
combinations of graphical backends and so on. I will not be testing
everything.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Sagaert Johan

Just a hint :

https://github.com/nezticle/RaspberryPi-BuildRoot has the QT5 integrated
with the squask toolchain in buildroot.
Maintained by Andy Nichols [[hidden email]]

Regards, Johan

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:37:28 +0100, Luca Ceresoli wrote:

> Are you going to leave the option in BR to use the old QT4?

Yes, I packaging Qt5 as a completely separate package from Qt4.

In fact, I'm even packaging it as multiple separate packages, because they now provide split tarballs for various components of the
Qt5 stack, which is great.

> I think it would be useful, mostly for boards having no OGLES
> acceleration, as well as to avoid any backward compatibility issues
> for old application code.

Of course. Note however that Qt5 doesn't require OpenGLES. There are linuxfb and directfb backend that normally work with OpenGLES.

However, the linuxfb backend is crashing at the moment. I've already sent one (easy) fix to the Qt guys, and reported the next
crash.
They suggested some thing that didn't work, I'm still waiting for some news.

So basically, the stuff will compile, I can build and run a basic QtCore application, but there will be some work to runtime test
all the combinations of graphical backends and so on. I will not be testing everything.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux development, consulting, training and support.
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Dear Sagaert Johan,

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:48:12 +0100, Sagaert Johan wrote:

> Just a hint :
>
> https://github.com/nezticle/RaspberryPi-BuildRoot has the QT5 integrated
> with the squask toolchain in buildroot.
> Maintained by Andy Nichols [[hidden email]]

Yes, that's what I'm using as an inspiration, even though I'm making
things a bit more configurable (provide more options for graphical
backends, etc.).

I'm still wondering why so many people are doing Buildroot forks
without contributing back the valuable work they are doing.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind)
On 14/01/13 14:10, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Dear Sagaert Johan,
>
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:48:12 +0100, Sagaert Johan wrote:
>
>> Just a hint :
>>
>> https://github.com/nezticle/RaspberryPi-BuildRoot has the QT5 integrated
>> with the squask toolchain in buildroot.
>> Maintained by Andy Nichols [[hidden email]]
>
> Yes, that's what I'm using as an inspiration, even though I'm making
> things a bit more configurable (provide more options for graphical
> backends, etc.).
>
> I'm still wondering why so many people are doing Buildroot forks
> without contributing back the valuable work they are doing.

  Maybe we should schedule some effort to discuss that on these projects'
mailing lists.

  It seems BTW that those projects are typically also forking, without
merging updates in buildroot itself. Shame.

  Regards,
  Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                          arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect            +32-16-286500

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Daniel Nyström-3
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Thomas Petazzoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is just a quick note to let people know that I've started
packaging Qt5. I'm re-using existing packaging efforts done by
RasberryPi folks, and I'm already quite far in the process. I hope to
be able to post something soon.

Hi Thomas! Do you think there are any chance Qt5 will make it to 2013.02?

Best regards
Daniel

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Dear Daniel Nyström,

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 10:56:32 +0100, Daniel Nyström wrote:

> Hi Thomas! Do you think there are any chance Qt5 will make it to 2013.02?

Unfortunately no, the packages are not completely ready. I still have
linking issues due to incorrect library paths.

You can follow my work at
http://git.free-electrons.com/users/thomas-petazzoni/buildroot/log/?h=qt5
if you're interested.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Frédéric COIFFIER
Hello Thomas,

Did you get a patch for solving your segfault with the LinuxFb backend ?
I made a similar test few weeks ago and got the same problem on an i.MX6
board.
I saw your mail in the Qt-project mailing list but no answer from the Qt
team

Regards,
Frederic

On 02/06/2013 11:04 AM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Unfortunately no, the packages are not completely ready. I still have
> linking issues due to incorrect library paths.
>
> You can follow my work at
> http://git.free-electrons.com/users/thomas-petazzoni/buildroot/log/?h=qt5
> if you're interested.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas

//

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Dear Frédéric COIFFIER,

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 11:12:21 +0100, Frédéric COIFFIER wrote:

> Did you get a patch for solving your segfault with the LinuxFb backend ?
> I made a similar test few weeks ago and got the same problem on an i.MX6
> board.
> I saw your mail in the Qt-project mailing list but no answer from the Qt
> team

Yes, there were two problems:

 * An ioctl() related problem, which I fixed (patch had been sent on
   the qt-interest mailing list)

 * A crash after that. But I was told a few days ago that the crash
   only appeared with the specific example application I was trying,
   and that all the other applications worked fine. Since I got this
   information, I haven't been able to test it by myself. I'll do so as
   soon as I start working on Qt5 again, hopefully this week.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

prabindh
Hello Thomas,

On below - how can I help ? Note that sgxconfiguro, while useful in desktop cases, for Qt5 is not especially useful as Qt5 autoconfig anyway fails because of bad icu detection. So I reverted back to regular configurations via qmake.conf at this time.

Thomas Petazzoni-2 wrote
Dear Daniel Nyström,

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:50:48 +0100, Daniel Nyström wrote:
> Very appreciated! Do you know if there is OpenGL support for i.e. OMAP
> (PowerVR) in Buildroot and, if that's the case, will Qt5 make use of that?
>
> I once started with a PowerVR package for BR, but got interrupted and never
> had time to catch up. :/

For now, I have added support for the eglfs backend of Qt5, by using
the OpenGLESv2 and EGL implementations for the RasberryPi. I've also
added in the process virtual packages for libglesv2, libegl and
libopenvg, so that multiple implementations can be packaged for those
APIs.

However, I haven't looked at packaging the OMAP PowerVR stuff for now.
So if anyone wants to have a look, would be nice.

I currently have https://github.com/prabindh/sgxconfiguro (a set of
pkg-config files that apparently make it a bit easier to use the SGX
stuff), and http://gpupowered.org/node/8 opened in my browser, as
useful links regarding SGX stuff. Just in case someone wants to start
working on this.

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

prabindh
Hello Thomas,

On below - how can I help ? Note that sgxconfiguro, while useful in autoconfigure for egl/gles2, for Qt5 is not especially useful as it fails because of missing icu detection via autoconfig. So I reverted back to regular configurations via qmake.conf at this time.

Thomas Petazzoni-2 wrote
Dear Daniel Nyström,

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:50:48 +0100, Daniel Nyström wrote:
> Very appreciated! Do you know if there is OpenGL support for i.e. OMAP
> (PowerVR) in Buildroot and, if that's the case, will Qt5 make use of that?
>
> I once started with a PowerVR package for BR, but got interrupted and never
> had time to catch up. :/

For now, I have added support for the eglfs backend of Qt5, by using
the OpenGLESv2 and EGL implementations for the RasberryPi. I've also
added in the process virtual packages for libglesv2, libegl and
libopenvg, so that multiple implementations can be packaged for those
APIs.

However, I haven't looked at packaging the OMAP PowerVR stuff for now.
So if anyone wants to have a look, would be nice.

I currently have https://github.com/prabindh/sgxconfiguro (a set of
pkg-config files that apparently make it a bit easier to use the SGX
stuff), and http://gpupowered.org/node/8 opened in my browser, as
useful links regarding SGX stuff. Just in case someone wants to start
working on this.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Hello prabindh,

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:18:49 -0800 (PST), prabindh wrote:

> On below - how can I help ? Note that sgxconfiguro, while useful in
> autoconfigure for egl/gles2, for Qt5 is not especially useful as it
> fails because of missing icu detection via autoconfig. So I reverted
> back to regular configurations via qmake.conf at this time.

If you're interested in Buildroot, the best way you can help is by
creating packages for the SGX stuff needed to bring OpenGL support on
OMAP platforms. That would definitely be useful.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

prabindh
Hello Thomas,

Using default cross-compiled toolchain for the Beaglebone, some of the Xorg libraries are failing to link, with below errors:

undefined reference to `pwrite64'
undefined reference to `pread64'

Looks like a fix is needed as per below threads - Can you please confirm what is the right approach here ?

http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2013-January/047415.html
http://git.uclibc.org/uClibc/commit/?id=a586f419f5195ee5d7cb69c9c40263e01aec42

I need C++ toolchain as well, that does not seem to be built with buildroot by default. Are the below the right set of options to add to have this support ?

"BR2_GCC_CROSS_CXX=y BR2_INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP=y"

regards,
prabu

Thomas Petazzoni-2 wrote
Hello prabindh,

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:18:49 -0800 (PST), prabindh wrote:

> On below - how can I help ? Note that sgxconfiguro, while useful in
> autoconfigure for egl/gles2, for Qt5 is not especially useful as it
> fails because of missing icu detection via autoconfig. So I reverted
> back to regular configurations via qmake.conf at this time.

If you're interested in Buildroot, the best way you can help is by
creating packages for the SGX stuff needed to bring OpenGL support on
OMAP platforms. That would definitely be useful.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

prabindh
Hello Thomas,

Any advice on below post ?

This is for building the SGX Graphics drivers with BR.

regards,
Prabindh

Using default cross-compiled toolchain for the Beaglebone, some of the Xorg libraries are failing to link, with below errors:

undefined reference to `pwrite64'
undefined reference to `pread64'

Looks like a fix is needed as per below threads - Can you please confirm what is the right approach here ?

http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2013-January/047415.html
http://git.uclibc.org/uClibc/commit/?id=a586f419f5195ee5d7cb69c9c40263e01aec42

I need C++ toolchain as well, that does not seem to be built with buildroot by default. Are the below the right set of options to add to have this support ?

"BR2_GCC_CROSS_CXX=y BR2_INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP=y"

regards,
prabu

Thomas Petazzoni-2 wrote

> Hello prabindh,
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 20:18:49 -0800 (PST), prabindh wrote:
>
>> On below - how can I help ? Note that sgxconfiguro, while useful in
>> autoconfigure for egl/gles2, for Qt5 is not especially useful as it
>> fails because of missing icu detection via autoconfig. So I reverted
>> back to regular configurations via qmake.conf at this time.
>
> If you're interested in Buildroot, the best way you can help is by
> creating packages for the SGX stuff needed to bring OpenGL support on
> OMAP platforms. That would definitely be useful.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
> Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux development, consulting,
> training and support.
> http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Dear prabindh,

On Sun, 19 May 2013 20:31:35 -0700 (PDT), prabindh wrote:

> Using default cross-compiled toolchain for the Beaglebone, some of the Xorg
> libraries are failing to link, with below errors:
>
> undefined reference to `pwrite64'
> undefined reference to `pread64'

Have you enable largefile support in your configuration?

> I need C++ toolchain as well, that does not seem to be built with buildroot
> by default. Are the below the right set of options to add to have this
> support ?
>
> "BR2_GCC_CROSS_CXX=y BR2_INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP=y"

The first one is useless, because it enables C++ on the native compiler
on the target (which is a deprecated feature anyway). And also, this
BR2_GCC_CROSS_CXX option has been removed in december 2010. I would
_really_ recommend you to upgrade to a more recent Buildroot version.
We're clearly not going to support a Buildroot version that's 2 years
old, considering how many things have changed since then.

BR2_INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP (despite its bizarre name) is the right option to
have C++ support in the cross-compiler.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: Currently packaging Qt5

Thomas Petazzoni-2
Dear Sundareson, Prabindh,

On Wed, 22 May 2013 11:55:33 +0000, Sundareson, Prabindh wrote:

> Any advice on below post ?

I've just replied to you, sorry for the delay.

> This is for building the SGX Graphics drivers with BR.

Note that we have a GSoC student this year, Spenser Gilliland, who will
work on adding support in Buildroot for OpenGL and other similar/related
technologies for various ARM SoCs. So packaging the SGX stuff to
support OpenGL on OMAP is part of this GSoC TODO list.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

RE: Currently packaging Qt5

prabindh
Hello Thomas,

Will check the below.

>> Have you enable largefile support in your configuration?

I am using "buildroot-2013.02",  the below was copied from another post that I found the same topic.

>> BR2_GCC_CROSS_CXX option has been removed in december 2010. I would
_really_ recommend you to upgrade to a more recent Buildroot version.

regards,
Prabindh

On Sun, 19 May 2013 20:31:35 -0700 (PDT), prabindh wrote:

> Using default cross-compiled toolchain for the Beaglebone, some of the Xorg
> libraries are failing to link, with below errors:
>
> undefined reference to `pwrite64'
> undefined reference to `pread64'

Have you enable largefile support in your configuration?

> I need C++ toolchain as well, that does not seem to be built with buildroot
> by default. Are the below the right set of options to add to have this
> support ?
>
> "BR2_GCC_CROSS_CXX=y BR2_INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP=y"

The first one is useless, because it enables C++ on the native compiler
on the target (which is a deprecated feature anyway). And also, this
BR2_GCC_CROSS_CXX option has been removed in december 2010. I would
_really_ recommend you to upgrade to a more recent Buildroot version.
We're clearly not going to support a Buildroot version that's 2 years
old, considering how many things have changed since then.

BR2_INSTALL_LIBSTDCPP (despite its bizarre name) is the right option to
have C++ support in the cross-compiler.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons