About cygwin

Michael Qiu
Hi everyone,
  I've already got a working buildroot environment in linux. But now I need a cygwin version, I realized it's not easy to build kernel on windows, my target is a working toolchain on cygwin which has the same version and configurations as the linux one.

  I've tried several weeks ago with no luck. So can anyone tell me which version of buildroot works on cygwin(I mean at least toolchain can be compiled) and where can I find patches for make it works.

Thanks

Re: About cygwin

Mitch Davis-5
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Michael Qiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>   I've already got a working buildroot environment in linux. But now I need
> a cygwin version, I realized it's not easy to build kernel on windows, my
> target is a working toolchain on cygwin which has the same version and
> configurations as the linux one.

I haven't heard anything about buildroot working on Cygwin.  If you're
just after a toolchain, you may like to look at crosstool-ng:

  http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool

That page says that Cygwin can act as a host.

Disclaimer: I may be wrong as I'm not part of buildroot team, just
trying to help.

Mitch.

Re: About cygwin

Thomas Petazzoni-2
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:27:25 +1000
Mitch Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Disclaimer: I may be wrong as I'm not part of buildroot team, just
> trying to help.

You're correct: we don't support Cygwin. I'm not personally interested
by adding Cygwin support to Buildroot, and I think that trying to do
embedded Linux development inside Cygwin doesn't make sense, you'd
better use Linux on your development workstation.

Now, if someone steps in and wants to improve Buildroot to support
Cygwin, why not, but we'll have to see how invasive the changes are. I
don't think we want to merge invasive Cygwin-specific changes if no-one
is going to maintain them on the long term. As none of the current main
Buildroot contributors use Windows and Cygwin, Cygwin support is
probably going to be broken quite often by mistake due to improvements
we make to Buildroot.

Of course, that's my own personal point of view, not the one of the
Buildroot project as a whole.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

Re: About cygwin

Grant Edwards-6
On 2010-08-22, Thomas Petazzoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:27:25 +1000
> Mitch Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Disclaimer: I may be wrong as I'm not part of buildroot team, just
>> trying to help.
>
> You're correct: we don't support Cygwin. I'm not personally
> interested by adding Cygwin support to Buildroot, and I think that
> trying to do embedded Linux development inside Cygwin doesn't make
> sense, you'd better use Linux on your development workstation.

I've spent time supporting devlopment for eCos under Cygwin using Gnu
toolchains.  It's painful.  It's a minor miracle that Cygwin works at
all, and it's a major miracle that it works as well as it does.  But
it's still a constant, nagging souce of issues.

> Now, if someone steps in and wants to improve Buildroot to support
> Cygwin, why not,

Because somebody who wants to do that is missing more than a few
clues.  I'd be rather wary of any changes they make.  1/2 :)

> but we'll have to see how invasive the changes are. I don't think we
> want to merge invasive Cygwin-specific changes if no-one is going to
> maintain them on the long term. As none of the current main Buildroot
> contributors use Windows and Cygwin, Cygwin support is probably going
> to be broken quite often by mistake due to improvements we make to
> Buildroot.
>
> Of course, that's my own personal point of view, not the one of the
> Buildroot project as a whole.

Wanting to do Linux development under Windows instead of Linux is just
plain nuts.  Even installing Linux on a VM is easier and will work a
lot better.

--
Grant

Re: About cygwin

Peter Korsgaard-3

Hi,

 Thomas> You're correct: we don't support Cygwin. I'm not personally interested
 Thomas> by adding Cygwin support to Buildroot, and I think that trying to do
 Thomas> embedded Linux development inside Cygwin doesn't make sense, you'd
 Thomas> better use Linux on your development workstation.

 Thomas> Now, if someone steps in and wants to improve Buildroot to support
 Thomas> Cygwin, why not, but we'll have to see how invasive the changes are. I
 Thomas> don't think we want to merge invasive Cygwin-specific changes if no-one
 Thomas> is going to maintain them on the long term. As none of the current main
 Thomas> Buildroot contributors use Windows and Cygwin, Cygwin support is
 Thomas> probably going to be broken quite often by mistake due to improvements
 Thomas> we make to Buildroot.

 Thomas> Of course, that's my own personal point of view, not the one of the
 Thomas> Buildroot project as a whole.

FYI, I agree totally with the above. There's a few other reasons why
using Linux instead of Cygwin is a good idea:

- Windows (and in term Cygwin) has a few hardcoded magic file names
  (comN.*, con.*, prn.*, ..), which breaks horrible when packages have
  source files like con.c

- Cygwin is SLOW. It's >5 years since I last used it, but back then it
  was around 40x slower than Linux for configure/make/make install style
  stuff.

- A lot of the issues people have when they start working on embedded
  Linux systems are Linux questions rather than anything specific to
  embedded. The best way to learn Linux is IMHO just using it as much as
  possible.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

Re: About cygwin

Nataraj
Hi

How about trying out BR on FreeBSD? I do lots of my cross compilation to arm-linux on Freebsd. I find it gives least of suprises.

 Whereas on a debian  Lenny, for Example , as I mentioned in a previous mail, I need to do a 'dpkg-reconfigure  recode'  almost always before I "make" on BR, to prevent the libiconv errors from appearing. But I do have another Lenny setup with BR which shows none of these issues.

regards

Nataraj